Monday, September 17, 2012

Get a haircut...

...you look like a girl!

-Nana

This is what Gio and I heard the last couple times we've seen Nana (my Mom). I was a little hesitant because a friend had told me that she rushed into her son's first haircut and it was anti-climatic. She wished she had waited. Giovanni has always had a lot of hair. Like in this picture from when he was 8 days old.
Born with lots of hair!
This week, I decided it probably was time to do something about his unruly mane.  Following recommendations, I made an appointment at Just Kidding for Sunday. He did okay. He wasn't real wild about the cape and for about half of it, I had to stand near and comfort him. I was amazed at how quick the stylist was to get in and make the cuts between his moving. When we were done, I texted Nana a picture with the caption "Better?" She replied "NO, now he looks like a little boy instead of a baby." There's no pleasing some people!


So handsome!
After nearly 10 months, I feel like I mostly have the hang of this Mom thing. I can read his "poopin' face." I can usually tell when he needs to eat or nap. But sometimes I blow it. Like yesterday. After we got home from the haircut, I wanted to go run errands and Luciano wanted to mow the grass. I thought that Giovanni probably needed to go down for a nap, but it didn't fit well with our plans. So I took him shopping with me so Daddy could mow the yard. What a mistake! He fell asleep in the car and I had to wake him up when we got to the grocery store. I hoped that if I carried him in the Ergo, he would go back to sleep. No dice. When we finally got home, I whisked him back to the bedroom with a bottle in hopes of getting him to sleep. He was having none of it. He screamed. And screamed. I felt terrible. We fought with him for over an hour, trying to coax him to sleep. Finally, we gave up and let him suck on some frozen mango, thinking that his teeth were hurting him. I think he was really just hungry and over-tired. While dinner was in the oven, we went and played in the yard. He crawled over to the swing and started playing with it, so I put him in and started pushing him. While I ran in to check on dinner, he fell fast asleep in the swing. Silly Little Man!

Baby-proofing continued this week. I couldn't resist snapping this adorable picture before getting him out of Daddy's way. Of course, it took 5 tries to get one that showed his face and wasn't blurry. Anyone who's taken photos of children knows that quantity is required to get quality!

Off we go for another week.  It was REALLY hard to leave my sleeping sweeties this morning.  I just wanted to crawl back into bed and snuggle them all day.  I know it wouldn't work and as soon as I would have snuggled in with them, Giovanni would have been awake and ready to play.  I know in my heart that I could never be a stay-at-home-Mom.  But some days?  I'd like to take a mental health sick day.

4 comments:

  1. When I saw you were going to get his hair cut, I thought "no! he isn't even a year yet!" Yeah. It makes me sad when they look more grown up after a haircut.But he does look very handsome.
    As a second time mom, I have finally given in to the theory that sleep trumps all. It is so annoying when I want to do other stuff. But if I don't let the nap happen, I pay for it in the end. Eventually he won't nap at all anymore and you'll miss it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pookie! Please tell me the haircuts get easier as they get older.

      Delete
  2. They sure do lose the baby look with that first haircut, don't they? My older son was 2 years old and 3 months when we finally cut his. (I regretted it afterward for a long time, but now it's nice and long again.) He took one look at himself and GASPED and said, " I have handsome!!!!!" The little one is now that same age and even though I'm a little tempted to cut it sometimes when it's all over his face, he's my last one and I'm letting it grow.

    About the nap thing - a friend of mine swore that if you laid your baby down the second time they yawned, they'd fall asleep without any trouble, but if you wait until they start whining, you're out of luck. I don't know if it's that easy, but I followed it when I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have handsome!!!" Love it! Your boys are so cute.

      He doesn't yawn much yet, but rubs his eyes for sure. Maybe if I substitute the eye rubs for yawns, that would probably work. I agree with her that there is a small window where you can get them down to sleep. Miss it and he's over-tired and resists sleeping.

      Delete