Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Early Days - New Year's Eve

This is the first of what I hope will be several posts recalling our adventures before I started the blog.

For New Year's Eve, we continued my family's tradition of ringing in the new year with our "other family": Barb & Dave, Kevin & Debra, Adam & Robyn, and Darren. Nana & Papa and Jon & Amanda were there as well. Robyn had her tonsils removed a couple days beforehand, so she was not feeling so great. At one point, she fell asleep on the couch. We rested a sleeping Giovanni on her chest and they were too sweet for words.

Kevin and Debra brought a new game, Castle Panic. I think they found it at GenCon and it was a lot of fun. The premise is that you are defending the castle from attacking orcs, trolls, and goblins. All the players work together to defend the castle, with the individual winner being less important than the team's success. We also played a couple rounds of Hand & Foot as teams, boys against girls. It was going well until we convinced the guys (who were losing badly) to play a third round. Big mistake! They skunked us and went out before we were even down. Ooops! This was also one of the first years that I can remember where we didn't split up into "parents" and "kids" groups.

Of course, we stood outside in a freezing drizzle to watch the fireworks at midnight. Nana stayed inside and took advantage of some extra snuggle time with Gio. The festivities broke up not long after midnight as we wanted to get home before the freezing rain got any worse.

As long as we were travelling, we made it into a long (5-day) weekend, driving out on Thursday and returning home on Tuesday morning. We exchanged Christmas presents during the trip and Gio got SPOILED! Among the books, clothes, and toys, he also got his first wagon. Looking forward to the warmer months when we can use it to tote him off to concerts in the park and other fun events. Nana and Papa were lifesavers when Gio woke up at 5 or 6am. They relieved me after the feeding so Mama could go back to sleep. It was a great visit and Nana was definitely an hour late to work on Tuesday morning...she just didn't want the time with Gio to end!

No comments:

Post a Comment