Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The End of Swaddling

We have swaddled Giovanni nearly every night since he was born.  Our neighbor lent us her three Miracle Blankets and they have worked beautifully.  We also have several large receiving blankets that I made* that also work well.  He has slept through the night consistently since he was 6 weeks old.  (Trust me, I count this among my blessings every morning!)

Unfortunately, Gio is big enough now that he kicks out of the blankets.  At first it was just "jail break" of an arm here or there.  Yesterday morning, I found the blanket nearly completely off him and lying loose in the crib.  This won't do, so we decided to retire the Miracle Blankets.  I was nervous that the end of swaddling would mean the end of sleeping through the night.

Thankfully, it didn't.  He slept as well as ever last night (over 9 hours) and has been a really good baby today.  Guess that's one chapter closed in my Little Man's life...

*Making receiving blankets is even easier than it sounds.  Buy a 42" piece of flannel at the fabric store.  Trim the edges.  Blanket-stitch or serge around the sizes.  Voila...receiving blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment